Fundamentals of Differential Equations presents the basic theory of differential equations and offers a variety of modern applications in science and engineering. Available in two versions, these flexible texts offer the instructor many choices in syllabus design, course emphasis (theory, methodology, applications, and numerical methods), and in using commercially available computer software.
Fundamentals of Differential Equations, Sixth Edition is designed for a one-semester sophomore or junior-level course. Fundamentals of Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, Fourth Edition, contains enough material for a two-semester course that covers and builds on boundary-value problems. These tried-and-true texts help students understand the methods and concepts they will need to successfully complete engineering courses. The new texts retain the features that have made previous editions successful, while integrating recent advances in teaching and learning. The Fundamentals of Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems version consists of the main text plus three additional chapters (Eigenvalue Problems and Sturm-Liouville Equations; Stability of Autonomous Systems; and Existence and Uniqueness Theory).
2. First-Order Differential Equations
3. Mathematical Models and Numerical Methods Involving First Order Equations
4. Linear Second-Order Equations
5. Introduction to Systems and Phase Plane Analysis
6. Theory of Higher-Order Linear Differential Equations
7. Laplace Transforms
8. Series Solutions of Differential Equations
9. Matrix Methods for Linear Systems
10. Partial Differential Equations