This edition retains many features of the previous edition—exceptional organization, readability, practical approach, sound technical content, extensive appendix, design procedures, example problems, use of computer aids, and use of many examples from commercially available products and systems—yet, has been extensively updated to include new photographs; new design data for some elements; new or revised standards; new end-of-chapter references; listing of internet sites; and some completely new elements.
1. The Nature of Mechanical Design.
2. Materials in Mechanical Design.
3. Stress and Deformation Analysis.
4. Combined Stresses and Mohr’s Circle
5. Design for Different Types of Loading.
II. DESIGN OF A MECHANICAL DRIVE.
7. Belt Drives and Chain Drives.
8. Kinematics of Gears.
9. Spur Gear Design.
10. Helical Gears, Bevel Gears, and Wormgearing.
11. Keys, Couplings, and Seals.
12. Shaft Design.
13. Tolerances and Fits.
14. Rolling Contact Bearings.
15. Completion of the Design of a Power Transmission.
III. DESIGN DETAILS AND OTHER MACHINE ELEMENTS.
16. Plain Surface Bearings.
17. Linear Motion Elements.
20. Machine Frames, Bolted Connections, and Welded Joints.
21. Electric Motors and Controls.
22. Motion Control: Clutches and Brakes.
23. Design Projects.
Answers to Selected Problems.
Robert L. Mott
0130618853 | 9780130618856