Architectural Acoustics offers a comprehensive overview of acoustical science at a level suitable for either advanced undergraduate or introductory graduate courses in architectural design and architectural engineering. The text is organized according to how sound interacts with built structures, going from simple geometries through complex building structures. The book begins with a brief but useful history of architecture and the role of acoustics, as well as overview of human perception of, sound, and then progresses through topics ranging from acoustic measurement, noise metrics and environmental noise, to sound in enclosed spaces, sound transmission in buildings, vibration and vibration isolation, and noise in mechanical systems.
Architectural Acoustics also includes more advanced chapters on specific design problems, including treatment of multifamily dwellings, office buildings, sound reinforcement systems, rooms for music, multipurpose rooms, auditoriums, sanctuaries, and studios and listening rooms. Also covered is the theory loudspeaker systems and sound system modeling as well as in-depth presentation of computer modeling, ray tracing and auralization.
* Comprehensive guide to the basics of acoustical science and its applications to architectural design.
* Author is renowned expert engaged in acoustical engineering for 20 years
* Covers the latest environmental regulations and health and safety research related to sound inside and outside of buildings.
- Historical Introduction
- Fundamentals of Acoustics
- Human Perception and Reaction to Sound
- Acoustic Measurements and Noise Metrics
- Environmental Noise
- Wave Acoustics
- Sound and Solid Surfaces
- Sound in Enclosed Spaces
- Sound Transmission Loss
- Sound Transmission in Buildings
- Vibration and Vibration Isolation
- Noise Transmission in Floor Systems
- Noise in Mechanical Systems
- Sound Attenuation in Ducts
- Design and Construction of Multifamily Dwellings
- Design and Construction of Office Buildings
- Design of Rooms for Speech
- Sound Reinforcement Systems
- Design of Rooms for Music
- Design of Multipurpose Auditoria and Sanctuaries
- Design of Studios and Listening Rooms
- Acoustic Modeling, Ray Tracing, and Auralization
0124555519 | 978-0124555518