Offering a balanced and streamlined presentation, this edition has been updated throughout with new material and revised presentations.
This book is integrated with OWL, a powerful online learning system for chemistry that will help you improve your grades and master course concepts.
1. Chemistry is the Logic of Biological Phenomena.
2. Water – The Medium of Life.
3. Thermodynamics of Biological Systems.
4. Amino Acids.
5. Proteins: Their Primary Structure and Biological Functions.
6. Proteins: Secondary, Tertiary, and Quaternary Structure.
7. Carbohydrates and Glyco-Conjugates of the Cell Surface.
9. Membranes and Membrane Transport.
10. Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids.
11. Structure of Nucleic Acids.
12. Recombinant DNA: Cloning and Creation of Chimeric Genes.
Part II: PROTEIN DYNAMICS.
13. Enzyme Kinetics.
14. Mechanisms of Enzyme Action.
15. Enzyme Regulation.
16. Molecular Motors.
Part III: METABOLISM AND ITS REGULATION.
17. Nutrition and the Organization of Metabolism.
19. The Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle.
20. Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation.
22. Gluconeogenesis, Glycogen Metabolism, and the Pentose Phosphate Pathway.
23. Fatty Acid Catabolism.
24. Lipid Biosynthesis.
25. Nitrogen Acquisition and Amino Acid Metabolism.
26. The Synthesis and Degradation of Nucleotides.
27. Metabolic Integration and Organ Specialization.
Part IV: INFORMATION TRANSFER.
28. DNA Metabolism.
29. Transcription and the Regulation of Gene Expression.
30. Protein Synthesis.
31. Post-Translational Processing of Proteins and Protein Degradation.
32. The Reception and Transmission of Extracellular Information.