Smith/Minton: Mathematically Precise. Student-Friendly. Superior Technology. Students who have used Smith/Minton’s Calculus say it was easier to read than any other math book they’ve used. That testimony underscores the success of the authors’ approach, which combines the best elements of reform with the most reliable aspects of mainstream calculus teaching, resulting in a motivating, challenging book. Smith/Minton also provide exceptional, reality-based applications that appeal to students’ interests and demonstrate the elegance of math in the world around us.
New features include:
• A new organization placing all transcendental functions early in the book and consolidating the introduction to L’Hôpital’s Rule in a single section.
• More concisely written explanations in every chapter.
• Many new exercises (for a total of 7,000 throughout the book) that require additional rigor not found in the 2nd Edition.
• New exploratory exercises in every section that challenge students to synthesize key concepts to solve intriguing projects.
• New commentaries (“Beyond Formulas”) that encourage students to think mathematically beyond the procedures they learn.
• New counterpoints to the historical notes, “Today in Mathematics,” that stress the contemporary dynamism of mathematical research and applications, connecting past contributions to the present.
• An enhanced discussion of differential equations and additional applications of vector calculus.
Chapter 1: Limits and Continuity
Chapter 2: Differentiation
Chapter 3: Applications of the Derivative
Chapter 4: Integration
Chapter 5: Applications of the Definite Integral
Chapter 6: Integration Techniques
Chapter 7: First-Order Differential Equations
Chapter 8: Infinite Series
Chapter 9: Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates
Chapter 10: Vectors and the Geometry of Space
Chapter 11: Vector-Valued Functions
Chapter 12: Functions of Several Variables and Partial Differentiation
Chapter 13: Multiple Integrals
Chapter 14: Vector Calculus
Chapter 15: Second Order Differential Equations
Appendix A: Proofs of Selected Theorems
Appendix B: Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises
Robert Thomas Smith / Roland B. Minton
0073215325 | 978-0073215327