Borgnakke and Sonntag’s Fundamentals of Thermodynamics has long stood as the text of choice for an introduction to the theory and application of thermodynamics. Written from an engineer’s point of view, this updated and revised Seventh Edition of the classic text offers a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of classical thermodynamics. With concise, applications-oriented discussion of topics and self-test problems, the text encourages students to monitor their own progress and absorb the concepts step by step.
Updated with additional examples, homework problems, and illustrations to increase student understanding, this new edition:
- Includes concept check questions within chapters
- Provides more figures, additional examples, and application sections in each chapter
- Includes a revised version of CATT software for ease of calculating property data
- Features the ThermoNet Web Site, with an extensive collection of Internet-based learning resources in engineering thermodynamics at the college level
Preparing students to effectively apply thermodynamics in the practice of engineering, Fundamentals of Thermodynamics, Seventh Edition lays the groundwork for subsequent success in fields such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and statistical thermodynamics.
2. Some Concepts and Definitions.
3. Properties of a Pure Substance.
4. Work and Heat.
5. The First Law of Thermodynamics.
6. First Law Analysis for a Control Volume.
7. The Second Law of Thermodynamics.
9. Second Law Analysis for a Control Volume.
10. Irreversibility and Availability.
11. Power and Refrigeration Systems.
12. Gas Mixtures.
13. Thermodynamic Relations.
14. Chemical Reactions.
15. Introduction to Phase and Chemical Equilibrium.
16. Compressible Flow.
Contents of Appendix.
Appendix A: SI Units: Single State Properties.
Appendix B: SI Units: Thermodynamic Tables.
Appendix C: Ideal-Gas Specific Heat.
Appendix D: Equations of State.
Appendix E: Figures.
Appendix F: English Unit Tables.