End-of-chapter learning aids now focus on only the most important key objectives, equations and concepts, making it easier for readers to locate chapter content, while new applications to a wide range of disciplines, such as biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, and medicine deepen readers’ understanding of the relevance of chemistry in today’s world.
1. The Atom in Modern Chemistry.
2. Chemical Formulas, Chemical Equations, and Reaction Yields.
UNIT 2: CHEMICAL BONDING AND MOLECULAR STRUCTURE.
3. Chemical Bonding: The Classical Description.
4. Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.
5. Quantum Mechanics and Atomic Structure.
6. Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure.
7. Bonding in Organic Molecules.
8. Bonding in Transition Metal Compounds and Coordination Complexes.
UNIT 3: KINETIC MOLECULAR DESCRIPTION OF THE STATES OF MATTER.
9. The Gaseous State.
10. Solids, Liquids, and Phase Transitions.
UNIT 4: EQUILIBRIUM IN CHEMICAL REACTIONS.
12. Thermodynamic Processes and Thermochemistry.
13. Spontaneous Processes and Thermodynamic Equilibrium.
14. Chemical Equilibrium.
15. Acid–Base Equilibria.
16. Solubility and Precipitation Equilibria.
UNIT 6: MATERIALS.
21. Structure and Bonding in Solids.
22. Inorganic Materials.
23. Polymeric Materials and Soft Condensed Matter.