In John McMurry’s words: “I wrote this book because I love writing. I get great pleasure and satisfaction from taking a complicated subject, turning it around until I see it clearly from a new angle, and then explaining it in simple words.” Through his lucid writing and ability to show the beauty and logic of organic chemistry, McMurry makes learning enjoyable. The highest compliment that can be given to a chemistry book applies to McMurry: It works!
The textbook uses a dual organization that blends the traditional functional-group approach with a mechanistic approach. The primary organization is by functional group, beginning with the simple alkenes and progressing to the more complex carbonyl group and biomolecules. The updated edition adds sections on acid-base strength, organic acids and bases, and curved-arrow formalism.
2. Polar Covalent Bonds; Acids and Bases.
3. Organic Compounds: Alkanes and Their Stereochemistry.
4. Organic Compounds: Cycloalkanes and Their Stereochemistry.
5. An Overview of Organic Reactions.
6. Alkenes: Structure and Reactivity.
7. Alkenes: Reactions and Synthesis.
8. Alkynes: An Introduction to Organic Synthesis.
11. Reactions of Alkyl Halides: Nucleophilic Substitutions and Eliminations.
12. Structure Determination: Mass Spectrometry and Infrared Spectroscopy.
13. Structure Determination: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
14. Conjugated Compounds and Ultraviolet Spectroscopy.
15. Benzene and Aromaticity. 16. Chemistry of Benzene: Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution.
17. Alcohols and Phenols.
18. Ethers and Epoxides; Thiols and Sulfides. A Preview of Carbonyl Compounds.
19. Aldehydes and Ketones: Nucleophilic Addition Reactions.
20. Carboxylic Acids and Nitriles.
21. Carboxylic Acid Derivatives: Nucleophilic Acyl Substitution Reactions.
22. Carbonyl Alpha-Substitution Reactions.
23. Carbonyl Condensation Reactions.
24. Amines and Heterocycles.
25. Biomolecules: Carbohydrates.
26. Biomolecules: Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins.
27. Biomolecules: Lipids.
28. Biomolecules: Nucleic Acids.
29. The Organic Chemistry of Metabolic Pathways.
30. Orbitals and Organic Chemistry: Pericyclic Reactions.
31. Synthetic Polymers.
9706868232 | 9789706868237